About the Journal of Computer Applications in Archaeology
The Journal of Computer Applications in Archaeology (JCAA) is a peer-reviewed, open access, electronic journal, featuring papers in all the disciplines related to digital archaeology, including 3D modelling, spatial analysis and remote sensing, geophysics, other field recording techniques, databases and semantic web, statistics and data mining, simulation modelling, network analysis and digital reconstructions of the past.
CALL FOR PAPERS
The JCAA publishes high quality, original papers that focuses on research on the interface between archaeology and informatics. This peer-reviewed journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
The Journal was established in 2017 by Computer Applications in Archaeology International (CAA) to provide an attractive outlet for publication of cutting-edge research in the broad field of digital archaeology and cultural heritage.
We now invite high quality papers on all the aspects of digital archaeology, including, – but not restricted to – databases and semantic web, statistics and data mining, 3D modelling, GIS, spatial analysis, remote sensing and geophysics, other field recording techniques, simulation modelling, network analysis and digital reconstructions of the past for consideration for publication in the Journal. Papers can be targeted towards scientific research, cultural heritage management and/or public archaeology.
We accept papers falling in one of the following four categories:
- Research articles, describing the outcomes and application of unpublished original research
- Case studies, expanding on the application of established technologies/methods to shed light on archaeological enquiries.
- Position papers, summarising and reflecting upon current trends in the application of established or new technologies, methods or theories.
- Reviews, covering topics such as current controversies or the historical development of studies as well as issues of regional or temporal focus.
Please refer to the Journal Information and submission instructions for Author about manuscript preparation: http://jcaa.ubiquitypress.com/about/submissions/
All manuscripts should be submitted online at:
The journal is published online as a continuous volume and issue throughout the year. Articles are made available as soon as they are ready to ensure that there are no unnecessary delays in getting content publicly available.
The JCAA Editorial Board is composed of established scholars with expertise in all aspects of digital archaeology.
JCAA is a full Open Access journal. Accepted papers will be published upon payment of a £450 Article Processing Charge. The journal has some APC waiver options. Please see below or refer to the submission page of the JCAA website.
Notes for Prospective Authors
Submitted papers should not have been previously published nor be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.
For further information please refer to the JCAA website or contact the JCAA Editorial Team at email@example.com .
JCAA Publication fund (APC Waiver)
The JCAA Publication Fund is set up by CAA International to support authors of papers that are accepted by the Journal of Computer Applications in Archaeology, who cannot pay the Article Processing Charges from institutional or external sources of funding, and who are members of CAA International.
The fund has limited resources, the size of which will be established annually. Currently, the fund will allow for a maximum of five papers per year to be funded. Waivers will be assigned in order of submission. Before applying to the fund, however, authors are urged to explore the possibilities of local funding sources.
In the case of application to the fund, the following criteria apply in order to qualify for a full or partial waiver of the Article Processing Charges.
- The paper has been accepted for publication in JCAA after going through the normal review procedure.
- the applicant must be a current member of CAA, and must have been a member for at least 2 years during the last 4, including the current year. Regarding CAA membership see: http://caa-international.org/membership/.
- The applicant can prove there is no other funding available to the applicant or any of the paper’s co-authors to pay for the Article Processing Charges. This situation applies when
- the authors have no paid employment;
- the authors’ employers have no funds available, or are not eligible for Open Access publishing funds; in this case, a statement from the employer is needed;
- there are no other funds for Open Access publishing available to the authors, either because these don’t exist in the authors’ country of residence, or because an application to such a fund was not successful; in the latter case, a statement of rejection is needed as well.
- the authors have no paid employment;
The application should be submitted by filling out the on-line form available here and by sending the required statements of non-eligibility for Open Access funding to firstname.lastname@example.org (when applicable). The application will be reviewed by members of the Journal’s Editorial Board, after which a final decision will be taken by the Treasurer of CAA International. The results of the review process can generally be expected within 3 weeks of submission. If the application is approved, the payment of the Article Processing Charges will be taken care of by CAA International.
For further information, please contact JCAA Editorial board: email@example.com